- Architectural Acoustics
- Mechanical Noise Control
- Sound Masking
The United States Courthouse, Seattle, is a 23-story, 615,000 square-foot complex on a 2.7 acre site. The facility houses the U.S. District Court for the Western District of the State of Washington and associated security and administrative agencies. Challenges for acoustical design included providing proper background sound levels, sound isolation, and reverberant sound control to ensure speech clarity and speech privacy in critical spaces.
Awards and Honors
- GSA Design Excellence Award-Architecture & Interiors
- GSA Design Excellence Award – Construction
- National Center for State Courts, Citation
- AIA Pacific Northwest, Honor Award
- AIA Seattle, Commendation
BRC services included architectural acoustics design and mechanical noise control for courtrooms, judges’ chambers, lobby, holding cells, and other critical spaces. A sound masking system was designed for grand jury rooms to ensure privacy of deliberations.