Nakamura Courthouse Seattle, Washington
- Architectural Acoustics
- Mechanical Noise Control
The Nakamura Courthouse opened in 1940 as the first building in the West designed specifically for use as a federal courthouse. In June, 2009, the building was rededicated after a three-year $74.3 million project to renovate and modernize the historic structure. The building includes 76,600 sq. ft. for the Court of Appeals and 21,000 sq. ft. of additional office space.
Awards and Honors
- Best Public Building, Northwest Construction Best of 2009
- LEED Certified
BRC design included architectural acoustics and mechanical noise control for courtrooms, judge’s chambers, law library, reading room, and other critical spaces. Traffic noise was monitored and evaluated for interior noise impacts due to the proximity of city street and freeway traffic. The project included security enhancements, restoration of courtrooms and interior spaces, modernization of electrical and mechanical systems, as well as seismic upgrades.